Avery Island's Jungle Gardens - pam-and-edmund-mcilhenny

In 1936, a year after Jungle Gardens opened to the public, two of E.A. McIlhenny's friends discovered a magnificent Buddha statue in a Manhattan warehouse. It had apparently been in storage for some time, and its provenance was uncertain. The two friends presented the relic to McIlhenny, hoping it would find a suitable home among the Asian flora of his gardens. Indeed, he built a small Asian temple for the Buddha, and surrounded it with a very special garden. Today, the garden serves as an active place of worship for local Buddhists. See The History of Jungle Gardens by Lisa B. Osborn, Shane K. Bernard, and Scott Carroll

Avery IslandBuddhaJungle GardensLouisiana